This crochet bag is especially perfect for summer, during outings or even as a small beach bag. This bag is crocheted with single crochet and double crochet (in US Terms)
Lets get straight to it.
Level of skill Required:
Knowledge on how to crochet double crochet and single crochet is required for this pattern. Also one needs to know how to crochet into the magic circle/ring.
- Crochet Hook size 6mm
- Rope or t-shirt yarn or any other yarn that is about 3mm
- Meters used – 180m
- Button (20mm diameter)
- Sewing needle and sewing thread (for the button)
- 4 Stitch markers
Gauge: 4″ = 10 rows x 9 stitches
One size bag
Finished bag measurements
9 inches width and 8.5 inches length
Crochet Terms in US Terminology
- join – join two stitches together , done by working a slip stitch in the top of the next stitch
- rep – repeat (do it again)
- inc – means increase that is crochet two stitches in one stitch
- st (s) – stitch(es)
- ** – means do what is written in-between the asterisks (for example rep** , means repeat what is written in between the asterisks)
- X – means do it this times for example ( x6 means do it 6 times)
- 2sc (3sc, 4sc, 5sc……) – means crochet 1 single crochet in the next 2 stitches
- ch – chain
- sl st – slip stitch
- sc – single crochet
- dc – double crochet
- mr – magic ring/circle
- You are going to work in rounds.
- The number in the brackets at the end of each instruction is the total number of stitches for that round.
- The instruction: *2sc, inc* x6. Means that begin with 1 single crochet in the next 2 stitches, after that put 2 single crochet in the following stitch and repeat or do this 6 times.
- For the 2 rounds of double crochet, the slip stitch that is used to join the last st to the first st does not count as a stitch. Do not crochet in this slip st.
Instructions : boho bag crochet pattern
Foundation round: start with 6 sc in the mr. (6)
Round 2: inc x 6. Put a stitch marker in the first st to mark the starting point. (12)
Round 3: *inc, sc * x 6. (18)
Round 4: *2sc, inc* x 6. (24)
Round 5: *inc, 3sc* x 6. (30)
Round 6: *4sc, inc* x 6 (36)
Round 7: *inc, 5sc* x 6 (42)
Round 8 to round 13: sc in every stitch around. At the end of round 13 join the last stitch to the first stitch with a slip stitch. (42)
Round 14: ch 3, in the stitch at the base of the chain crochet 3 dc, *skip the next 2 sts, in the following st put 3 dc*. Repeat ** until the end of the round. Towards the end of the round you will be left with 2 stitches (excluding the slip st) skip these two stitches and join to the first dc of the round with a slip stitch.
Round 15: repeat round 14. At the end of round 15, instead of joining with a slip stitch as previously done in round 14, proceed by crocheting 1 sc in the first stitch and put a stitch marker to mark the starting point of round 16.
Round 16 to 18: 1sc in every stitch around (42)
Round 19: first put stitch markers in stitch number 1, 6, 16, 27 and 36. Begin with sc in the first 6 sts, chain 9, skip 9 sts, sc in the next 12 sts, chain 9, skip 9, sc in the remaining 6 sts. (Note: the chain 9 is for the short handles on both sides of the bag). (42)
Round 20: sc in every st (including the chain 9 on both sides). At the end, join the last st to the first st with a slip stitch. Cut the yarn and fasten off the end. (42)
The main body of the bag is done we are left with the longer handle/cord.
Weaving the long handle : the boho crochet bag pattern
From the first st count 21 sts and put a stitch marker in the 22nd stitch. Therefore st 1 and st 22 are going to be our two points for the handle.
Cut 12 strands of yarn each 180cm long (if you want a longer handle you increase the length of these 12 strands). Insert about 30cm of each strand through one of the marked stitches (first stitch or stitch 22) using a crochet hook. As shown below
Tie a knot at the short end to prevent unravelling of the strands as you weave the handle.
Group the strand into 3 sets of 4 strands. As shown below:
Start weaving the handle: Take the strands in such a way that you have one set at the right side another set at the middle and the last set at the left side. Put the set at the right side to the middle, after that put the set on left to the middle. Alternate the sets at the sides moving them to the middle as if you are braiding. Continue until you are left with about 30 cm of each strand. Insert the ends into the other stitch with the stitch marker using a crochet hook and tie a knot at the ends. Trim the ends as shown below:
The handle is done.
Inserting the button and button hole:
- Sew the button just below the short handle of one side at the center as shown below:
On the center of the other side chain 8 so that the chain is able to wrap around the button on the other side. Join on the 6th chain from the hook with slip stitch and continue with slip st into the remaining chains until you are back at the starting point (that is the center).
- Cut and fasten off the ends to finish the bag
- Your boho bag crochet is complete
- if you have tried this bag please comment below an let me know